Monthly Archives: August 2016

Picture’s Bright as Ever for Television, Despite Challenges from Social Media

Posted by admin on August 29, 2016
Uncategorized / No Comments

The advancement of mobile technology has given digital advertising a viable platform but the internet has only helped make television and its advertisements more available. According to the Evening Standard, “television remains the most engaging entertainment medium despite, and even because of, our addiction to smartphones”. With companies like Google and Facebook accounting for nearly all the growth in digital ad revenue, TV is a more profitable option than online advertising.

Although the Evening Standard article opens by examining the beneficial correlation between digital and television platforms, it discusses the consumer relationship as well. “In this media eco-system, traditional broadcasting, with a daily schedule and appointment viewing, still matters because it helps us to navigate a world of limitless content”. This re-iterates this importance of live broadcasting, the reason television will continue to thrive.

To learn more, read the Evening Standard article here.

Tags: , , , , ,

HULU Aiming for 2017 Launch of Live Broadcast Channels

Posted by admin on August 24, 2016
Uncategorized / No Comments

The streaming-video service, Hulu, is working hard to expand its business into live television. Hulu has been actively working for the last six months on this project, which includes, “cutting deals for local TV channels in markets across the U.S.” The main distinction between consumers who maintain cable subscriptions and those who’ve chosen to “cut the cord” is the opportunity to watch live sports and news. However, Tim Connolly, the senior VP at Hulu has made it a priority to offer this service, “Local TV provides the best content experience, so that’s what we want…to be able to watch the local game.”

Now that live-streaming video is a commonplace capability for internet networks, Hulu is ready to expand their personnel and create infrastructure for the service. Mike Hopkins, the CEO at Hulu had this to say, “We’re going to roll this out as soon as possible. Customers will have the option to buy Hulu’s live TV product as a standalone service, or bundled with the SVOD (streaming video on demand) service.” Nearly 80% of Hulu subscribers also have cable or satellite TV services but the push for adding live TV is clearly aimed at the remaining 20%.

By blending the on-demand and live platforms, Hulu is trying to offer all possibilities to their customers, which also results in more opportunities for advertisers. To learn more, read the Variety article here.

Tags: , , , ,

After Strong Upfront, a Growing Optimism about TV

Posted by admin on August 10, 2016
Uncategorized / No Comments

Digital platforms have been seen as the up and coming rival in advertising but ad fraud and viewability issues are sending buyers back to television. In a recent publication from MediaLife magazine, Bill Cromwell had this to say, “After a surprisingly strong upfront, new forecast predicts stronger spending this year on TV, a trend that may continue into next year if the current backlash against digital continues.”

Although ad fraud and viewability issues contribute to the movement away from digital advertising, the MediaLife article suggests there are other factors as well such as political and pharmaceutical spending. “The prediction for TV gains comes after a robust upfront that wrapped up much earlier than the past two years, thanks to greater demand from advertisers.”

To learn more, read the MediaLife article here.

Tags: , , , ,

Tower Media 233 N. Michigan Avenue, Suite 1780 Chicago, Illinois 60601